Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What's the hold up?

     You may have heard me griping the past couple of days. I have to go have my color vision abilities inspected at a local FSDO (Flight Standards District Offices). Unfortunately the offices aren't as 'local' as we would like them to be. Luckily I am a pilot. (Bet you didn't remember that!) And I'll be flying down with another gentleman and a flight instructor. I'll be flying and paying for the flight down and he will do likewise on the return. I am pretty excited to see what exactly it is that I can or can't see. I've been researching about how the tests may go, but it still seems kind of vague.

     First off, when you go to have your Flight Physical done, there is a portion of the test devoted to color vision. In fact here is just one of the three or four different kinds of tests and this particular test was the one I failed. TWICE


                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

     Believe it or not, I can only see two of those. You can imagine what the woman thought who was administering the test the first time I took it. They had apparently never had a color deficient patient receiving a medical before. ( I highly doubt that, but I acted surprised anyway.) The last time I went to get my medical was no different. I couldn't see the numbers. This particular doctor had seen many color deficient pilots. Based upon the Doctor's findings he was required to manually type, with what looked to be a typewriter built at the beginning of the last ice age, "Not Valid For Night Flight or by Color Control." At that time I didn't realize what I was truly in for. *Insert REALLY sad face here*

    So about a week ago I had planned to take my check ride. The final BIG test before I either receive a beautiful white temporary license, or a pink failure notice. Hopefully it will be the latter. But anyhow.... A few days prior to taking my check ride my Pilot Examiner (Who is a wonderful lady and who I'm very lucky to have helping me through this process) wanted to double check with the Federal Aviation Administration that as a 'color-deficient' pilot, I had satiated the experience requirements. And in fact I had for the Restricted License. Which means NO night-flying or color control. My examiner wasn't just going to go for that. She really wanted me to have a shot at the full license. So this is where we get to the present time. Within the next week and a half. I'll be flying down to Lebanon, TN to demonstrate my color vision abilities. The test will be composed of these two things, and possibly more:

Light Gun Signal Test:


FYI: It's not as easy to tell the colors as the chart makes it out to be....


Section Chart Color Identification:

It's composed of LOTS of colors. Blues and Magenta.


     Before I go down to take the test I'll be finishing up some night flying hours. I'll be bringing you along for that ride! Expect that post near the end of the week! 

I'll see you soon,
                        Sidney












1 comment: