Thursday, July 12, 2012

     I was on the phone for what seemed an eternity today. I was in touch with the Washington FSDO. Luckily I had a FAA inspector on the other end of the line who was quite helpful. He explained some things that I needed cleared up and showed me where to find the applicable regulations in the FAR/AIM. (Giant book full of very useful information concerning Federal Regulations and Aero Info) I was also lucky enough to schedule an appointment for my First Class Medical Certificate tomorrow. I currently hold a Third Class.


The use of Medical Certs in conjunction with licensure are as follows:
  • 1st Class: Airline Transport Pilot
  • 2nd Class: Commerical Pilot, Corporate Pilot, Crop Dusters, etc.
  • 3rd Class Private Pilot, Recreational Pilot, or Student Pilot
Medicals are to Pilot Licenses like the keys are to your car. My car is cool, but without the keys it just... kind of... sits there...Get caught without your medical to accompany your Pilot's Certificate? Eeeeeeeek!

     And even though I'm not considering Airline Transport as a job, I decided to go as far as I can with the medical. The reason being that if I go to 'Demonstrate my Color Abilities' with a 3rd class medical, and later on I wanted to get a 1st class. I would have to take the Demonstrated Ability test AGAIN along with some other things. So simply, it's worth my time to go in for this physical so I only have to take the test once. I'll be finishing up my night hours next week. (They're calling for nice weather! Would you believe it?) After that I'll be scheduling my check ride again. Getting that out of the way allows me to go down to Lebanon, TN on my own time with my crisp license in hand! 

     I'll be getting some video *hopefully* of my night flight next week...

Stay tuned,
                   Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment